Volcano Hike with Guidance
This third eruption in the Reykjanes Peninsula in about 800 years provides a unique opportunity to witness the raw power of an active volcano.
The volcano lies on a peninsula straddling two continents, creating a volcanic wonder in the drift zone between the North American and Eurasian plates. On this drive, you will be surrounded by the Atlantic Ocean, lava fields, and volcanic craters, with an otherworldly landscape of wind-blown palagonite and petrified troll formations.
This is the perfect daytour to experience the raw power of nature by the volcanic eruption from "Litli Hrutur" located in the Reykjanes Peninsula. Do not miss this once in a lifetime experience!
After thousands of earthquakes the ground has opened up again after the last eruption in 2022, and a new eruption has begun. Witnessing an erupting volcano is a once in a lifetime opportunity and gives you the opportunity to experience the raw power of our planet.
The sites around the volcano are constantly changing due to the freely flowing lava so the duration of the hike can change depending on weather and lava conditions.
The volcanic landscape can be uneven and challenging. Therefore, good hiking shoes and warm clothing is mandatory. There is no running water on the way to fill a water bottle, so bring plenty of water and a hearty lunch.
We estimate to be back in Reykjavik between 18:30 - 19:00. This time can vary depending on weather and hiking conditions.
• Streams of lava flowing into the valley
• Streaming activity and new areas of hot ground
Indgår og tilvalg
- Pick-up in Reykjavik.
- Bus fare (Free Wi-Fi).
- This is a guided tour & hike.
- No meals included, bring your own food and drink.
- Afgange : Daily, all year.
- Afgangstid : 10:00
- Længde : 9 hours.
- Sværhedsgrad : Difficult.
- Produktkode : A16.
- Andre oplysninger : The hike is about 17-20 km in total (out-and-back), which will take 2-3 hours each way. Equipment is available to rent on location as our partners at Iceland Camping Equipment can provide you with the perfect gear for a small fee.
Beklædning og udstyr
- Dress according to weather. Hiking boots and warm clothing/waterproof jacket. Thermal layers, hiking poles, gloves and a hat are highly recommended. Hiking crampons are recommended during winter. Bring plenty of water, lunch and snacks.